Sunday, December 1, 2013

National Novel Writing Month 2014

I DID IT! 50,000 in 30 days! :D

I'm not sure how I feel about it, though. On the one hand yes, I got my 50,000 words. On the other hand, my story is no where near finished. I'm only half way, maybe two thirds of the way through. So, do I still win NaNoWriMo if I got the word count but didn't finish the story?

I don't know. Who cares? I didn't officially sign up anyway.



So, here I my thoughts on this little experiment. On the one hand, I learned how much I could do in one month. It took some practice and, obviously some days are better than others, but I learned that, on a good day, I can blow through 1,500 - 2,000 words in an hour. Lots of little bits of time, like half an hour, that I have throughout the day suddenly became an opportunity to cram out seven or eight hundred words. That is a really good frame of mind to get into and I'm hoping I can continue it.

On the other hand, I don't like feeling rushed. Yes, I got a lot done, but how much of that will I have to go back and rewrite or delete because it's so bad? There's something to be said for taking the time to do it right the first time. As far as I can tell, there's writing quickly, and then there's writing well. They're two different things, although I hesitate to call them mutually exclusive, they are certainly not mutually inclusive.

Whether or not I'll do this again next year has yet to be determined. I don't think I'll be able to make that decision until October 2014 rolls around. In the mean time, I am glad that I tried it and I certainly developed some good writing habits that I hope I won't lose over the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment