Saturday, November 23, 2013

Beautiful Redemption

by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I was actually kind of disappointed in this book. Because I absolutely loved the first three books of this series, I had pretty high expectations for this one. To be fair, this book still has a lot of the elements I loved of the first three, namely the awesome characters. Link in particular is my favorite, but I really love all of them. I love Lena and Ethan together, which is a lot of the reason this book wasn't my favorite. The two of them were separated until the very end of the book and I didn't get to see them interact with each other. When they did finally get together, their major obstacle to being together was magically solved. They didn't even bother to try to explain how that happened and I don't know if I love or hate that fact. I guess it's a little of both.



SPOILER ALERT:
Ethan died at the end of the third book. I have to admit that, given that he's the narrator and all, I wasn't expecting him to actually die. But they did it. So most of the fourth book consists of Ethan fighting his way through the afterlife to try to get back to life. It was interesting, but not as interesting as the two of them would have been if I had gotten to see Ethan and Lena together. Ethan did get to meet some interesting characters in the afterlife, but ultimately he faced a lot of this battle alone (OK, so he had a crow with him for some of the journey but, given that crows can't talk, I'm not sure that that really counts).

That's really my only complaint about the book. Ultimately, it just wasn't as packed with action as the first three books. On a personal note, I had to deal with the passing of friend while reading this book so reading someone's interpretation of the afterlife while dealing with that was a little awkward. That wasn't the fault of the authors though. From an arbitrary perspective, their take on the afterlife was actually quite interesting.

All in all, it was a good book, but I think it was the weakest of the four.

No comments:

Post a Comment