Sunday, August 4, 2013

Kushiel's Mercy

by Jacqueline Carey

I had been hankering to get back to Terre D'Ange for a few months before I finally broke down and got this book from the library. I'm so glad I did because it gave me absolutely everything I wanted. I got to see how Imriel and Sidonie make it as a couple and how they convince Ysandre and the rest of the country to let them be together and still let Sidonie keep the throne. It was another exciting adventure that took them to numerous countries and brought them into contact with a plethora of characters. Of course, character building is one of Carey's fortes so I was happy with each and every new character that was introduced to us, as well as being happy to see old friends.

I liked the fact that Imriel brings Sidonie to the night court for a demonstration so he could see what she was okay with and what would be over the line. That was an excellent way to go about it and I applaud his thoughtfulness in having that idea.

I had some reservations when Imriel was given Leander's memories and made to think he was Leander. I wasn't sure I wanted to switch narrators in the middle of a book but I actually enjoyed it, largely because Leander actually seemed very much like Imriel. I feel like Leander is the kind of person Imriel could have been if his childhood hadn't been so traumatizing.



I particularly appreciate the complexities of Imriel's relationship with his mother. I always love a good villain with some redeeming qualities and Melisande fits that bill perfectly. As much as I wanted her to get executed in the first book, I was glad when she escaped that fate in this book. It's clear that she truly loves her son and has learned to be content where she is, far away from Terre D'Ange and all those people she hurt. Besides, she's such a formidable opponent, it would almost be disappointing if they actually managed to execute her. She's reached a point, at least in my mind, where I don't believe they could do that unless they let her. On the other hand, I think she's grown as a character to the point where I believe she would do that.

Now the only question is whether or not I want to read the ensuing trilogy. I have a friend who gave them poor reviews, and having read the synopsis for the next book, I'm not sure it's something I care to read. Most of the reason I keep coming back to these books is for the characters, but if the next book doesn't have any of my favorite characters, why should I read it?

What do you think? Should I give it a chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment