Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn

Okay, so I initially didn't want to read this book. I read the synopsis and thought "Nah, not really for me." Then everyone and their mother started reading and raving about it. So, of course, conformist that I am, I had to read it, too.



I'm really glad I did. I loved it! It was brilliantly written. I'm going to try to talk about the things I loved without spoiling too much because, if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. One of the characters is brilliantly manipulative but, in order for her to pull it off, Flynn had to be brilliantly manipulative. The switches she makes between characters, even within characters, is nothing short of masterful and it left me in awe.

The whole book is a battle of wits between a husband and wife and I loved it because, while rooting for one, it kind of seems inevitable that the other will win (I won't tell you which or why in case your opinion differs). But it was fun in all the ways that mind games are always fun to read about and then some.

The only part I really had a problem with was a woman convincing her husband (and other people in her life) that she was deadly afraid of blood. How stupid are these people? Don't they know that women have to deal with blood every month? How exactly would a woman manage to deal with that unpleasantness every month if she could't stand the sight or smell of blood? I've heard of men who can't stand the sight of blood, but never a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment