Saturday, March 24, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

By J.K. Rowling

HARRY POTTER TIME!

See?  I told you I'd read something more interesting next.

First off I have to say that there will probably be spoilers for this and every Harry Potter post because if you haven't read Harry Potter yet, or at least seen the movies, then that is something you need to remedy immediately.  I'm serious.  Right now.  Turn off your computer, find a book store or library, and start reading.

I first read this book right before the first movie came out, got caught up with the books that were published at that point (I don't remember how many there were by then) and read the remaining books as they came out.  I just recently decided it was time to go back and re-read them.  Excellent idea.  While the movies largely stay true to the books there are still things I missed, such as Peeves.  And it was fun to read knowing the full truth (such as the fact that Snape really is a good guy) and seeing all the places where the characters are just plain wrong.



As fantasy goes I have always deeply appreciated the fact that Rowling used a main character who was entirely new to the world she was building as it made it that much easier for her to introduce us to her world.  As Harry encounters new aspects of this strange and fascinating world, the characters around him have to explain things to him and, thereby, to us, the reader.  It's brilliant and, I think, particularly well-suited to a children's book.

I also love her characters.  One perfect example is while Harry is getting measured for his robes, he meets a snobby blond boy.  We don't get the boy's name until much later but it's so obviously Draco Malfoy that it made me love how individual each and every one of Rowling's characters are.  Not only are they all visually striking in their own unique ways, but they all have such strong personalities and characteristics which are so uniquely their own that it's incredibly easy to know who's who as soon as they're introduced.

All-in-all: excellent book.  Excellent world-building.  Excellent character development.  Read it.  Read it now.  Even if you already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment