Saturday, March 31, 2012

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

by J.K. Rowling

I still love re-reading this series, knowing how it all turns out. When I first read them I couldn't understand why everyone was saying that Ron and Hermione need to get together. Upon re-reading it's so obvious I can't even believe how thick I was, and yes, I say "thick" now. That's what happens when you read too much of a British author in one go. Next it'll be "daft". While Harry is just as much Hermione's friend as Ron is, Ron is the one always losing his temper every time Draco insults Hermione. Admittedly that could just be Ron's personality - maybe he's just more hot-headed than Harry. But, then again, we haven't seen him be hot-headed at all except when it comes to Hermione. Yep. I was daft.

Moving on. Magical things I love in this book: The Womping Willow. Who could forget the Womping Willow? And the car which drove off on its own after dumping Ron and Harry on the lawn in front of the school. I like the fact that enchanting a normally inanimate object also seems to give it a personality of its own. And the howler. Oh, the howler. I love this because, if it were available in our world, you know every parent everywhere would be using it every single time their children misbehaved. And, once again, I must say how much I love the character development - it's so easy to hear Mrs. Weasley's voice screaming through that envelope.



As long as I'm back on the topic of character development I should take a moment to mention how much I deeply appreciated a scene in the beginning where Mrs. Weasley is yelling at her son's, all of whom are taller than her, but still cower under her wrath. It reminds me of my own mother. I also cannot say how much I love Lucius Malfoy. In the scene towards the end where he storms into Dumbledore's office he almost comes off the page, he is so vividly described and clearly has such a presence. And I can't help but take a moment to say how much I adore the casting here. Jason Isaacs is perfection. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment