Monday, August 4, 2014

Deadly Heat

by Richard Castle

It's that time again. We're in the middle of summer break between shows, which means I've begun going into Castle withdrawal, which is interesting because I was kind of disappointed by this past season. It had a few good episodes, but overall, it was pretty weak. I have to say that I was really into the show in the very beginning, when Castle and Beckett were just dancing around each other. Now that they're together, it's definitely less amusing. I know they've been trying to keep the tension and the jokes going by infusing stuff into the plans for the wedding preparations, but I was never that into it. They're together and they're making it work and of course they're going to get married, so the stakes aren't as high. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are both very talented, and they're obviously doing their best to keep the lame jokes afloat, but I don't think even their talent is up to the task.



They do have great chemistry, though, and that has always been one of my favorite parts of the show. It was also one of my favorite parts about the books, but I feel like that, too, is slipping. This time around, I got pretty tired of Heat's jealousy every time Rook was seen with another woman. Her inordinate rage at the very sight of a particular ex of Rook's also seemed uncharacteristic. She admitted that it was irrational and out of proportion, but that doesn't change the fact that she's not acting like the Beckett I've come to know and love through the TV show. Castle/Rook has always been a bit of a flirt and has always had exes hanging around, and Beckett has (almost) always handled it like a lady. Granted, she had a few slip-ups before they were a couple, but once they got together, I don't think she ever doubted Castle's loyalty, and so I don't think Heat should doubt Rook's. It makes her come off as much more insecure than the detective I want to read about.

I was also kind of disappointed by Rook. I don't know if the jokes are getting worse, or if Nathan Fillion is just an expert at making a bad joke seem funny, but the whole book just felt like the writer was trying way too hard to recreate Fillion's natural charm. Considering I'm already picturing Nathan Fillion as Rook while reading, it shouldn't be that hard to make me love him every bit as much as I love watching, Castle, but somehow the writer managed to screw that up, too.

I don't want to leave you with the impression that I hated this book, because, despite its flaws, I actually really liked it. It was a fun, exciting read and I was happy with the way they tied up all the loose ends of the murder of Heat's mother. It was similar to the show, but only vaguely. It had enough originality to stand strong as it's own story, and it was a story that I enjoyed. Also, the Rainbow Killer made a pretty great villain.

Oh! And Detectives Malcom and Reynolds come back in this book! I was so glad to see them, not just for the Firefly reference, but also because I genuinely like them as characters. I would happily read about them even if they hadn't been named after the greatest space cowboy ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment