Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Titan's Curse

by Rick Riordan

I really enjoyed reading this book. I was looking for something light and fluffy to read after a serious non-fiction and Riordan did not disappoint. The Titan's Curse has everything I loved about the first two books. It was fun and funny and exciting and I love Riordan's interpretation of what the ancient Greek Gods would be like in the modern world. He does have a little bit of an overly-explanatory narrator, but it didn't bother me as much as it has in other books. Probably because this one is so short, and because that writing style fits very well in the young adult genre.



I liked Thalia, but not as much as I like Annabeth. I was pretty disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Annabeth in this book, but Thalia did make up for some of that. She doesn't have the same rapport with Percy, but she's still tough and badass, while also being a pretty well-rounded character. I particularly liked the fact that she called Percy Seaweed Brain and Percy hated it, even though he didn't mind when Annabeth called him that.

My one big problem with this book is the idea that I'm supposed to believe that loyalty can be a flaw. Are you kidding me? That is not a flaw. On the contrary, a hero should protect his friends. Isn't that what heroes are for? Athena would probably tell me that I'm failing to see the bigger picture, but I don't care. Looking out for our friends is what makes us human and everybody needs that. Not a flaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment