Thursday, October 31, 2013

National Novel Writing Month 2013

Okay. Okay. You guys talked me into it. I've decided I'm going to try to participate in National Novel Writing Month this year. I haven't officially signed up and I'm not going to. I highly doubt that I'm going to finish this novel in one month but I will try my darnedest to get 50,000 words out.

This NaNoWrMo just happens to work out well for me this year because I've just finished editing my novel for the umpteenth time and I really need a break from it. At the same time, I've had this other idea for a novel that I've been tossing around for more than a year now and I think now would be a great time for me to take a break from novel #1 and try to get a good start on novel #2.



The reason I have been so anti-NaNoWrMo in the past is because it took me 1 year to crank out my first novel and that was about 75,000 and I was really stressed during that year because every minute that I wasn't at work or sleeping, I was writing. If I wasn't doing any of those things I began to feel guilty and resentful of the time that I thought would be better spent writing.

So here's my pledge. I won't stress out about this. I write because I love writing. It's fun for me. If it stops being fun, that defeats the purpose. So, with that in mind, I know that there will be days that I will not make my word quota and that's fine. Hopefully I'll make up that time on the weekends but, again, if I don't, I won't stress over it. This is an experiment for me. We'll see how it goes.

I'll see you all in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment