Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fingersmith

by Sarah Waters

I don't really know what to say about this book. I liked it. I definitely think I liked it. I'm just having a hard time processing it because it didn't turn out to be what I expected it to be.

The book is about a girl in mid-nineteenth century London who is recruited by a friend/thief to help him seduce and then rob an heiress. The plan is to lock the poor heiress up in a mental institution once they are married and the main character will then get a cut of the money. But things go horribly, horribly wrong and that's really all I can tell you. That's all I knew before going in and, should any of you choose to read the book, the last thing I would want to do is spoil it for you. That first major twist was such a huge "Oh, no you DIDN'T!" kind of moment that I wouldn't want to spoil it.



After that the book is full of twists and turns. No one is who you think they are. Everyone's motivations are different and mysterious and hidden. It's almost 550 pages and I read it in about a week because I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend it. The book is very well-written and brings nineteenth-century England to life without bogging the reader down with unnecessary details. The writing is just impeccable.

For what it's worth, I was very satisfied with the ending. That's really saying something because, for awhile, I wasn't sure the book could possibly come up with an ending that I would be satisfied with. But then Waters pleasantly surprised me and I was all "Yep, that's exactly where I wanted those characters to end up." *contented sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment