Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Monstrumologist

by Rick Yancey

Ugh, this book is gross!  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but it's definitely not for those of the weak stomach.  I usually like to read while on my lunch break at work but quickly discovered that was not such a good idea in this case.

The premise of the book is that someone today (or very recently) has come into possession of these journals written by a man who was claiming to be some 120 years old.  The journals (i.e. the book) are the old man's recounting of his days as a 12-year old assistant to a monstrumologist (someone who studies monsters).  It takes place in New England in the 1880's and, when a nest of headless, man-eating monsters is discovered in their very cemetery, the monstrumologist and his assistant have no choice but to hunt down and exterminate every last one of these monsters.

The book is very well-written with extensive use of the English language and detailed descriptions and it is these detailed descriptions which make the book so disgusting.  However, I do not think the gore exists simply for it's own sake.  I think it adds to the suspense.  Personally, I don't want a character to relate to me how they witnessed their buddy get disemboweled, but when they tell me about it anyway, it forces me to realize just how dire their situation is.  These monsters are horrific and reading about the things they do to their prey (humans) helps to build the suspense in every scene in which these monsters are featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment